2017 READ-A-THON: “Wild West: Saddle Up & Read!”
The 3rd Annual Salem Elementary Read-a-thon will be starting soon! The Read-a-thon is a 2 week event that promotes a love of reading amongst the students. This year’s theme is “Wild West: Saddle Up & Read.”
We have a lot of great activities planned, including:
- Read for Minutes: A school-wide competition to see which classrooms can read the most minutes over a 2 week period. Students can also be sponsored by friends and family to read more via our Read-a-thon.com fundraiser.
- Tracks 2 & 3: October 9th – 20th
- Tracks 1 & 4: October 23rd – November 3rd
- Book Fair: Come out and refresh your home library by shopping at our Scholastic Book Fair. The Book Fair will be held in the Media Center from October 16th – 27th.
- Family Night: Join us on October 25th from 6-7:30pm for a fun evening of reading activities for the WHOLE family, including Bedtime Stories read by your favorite teachers (dressed as book characters!), a Make Your Own Bookmark Craft table, Parent Info Sessions, and MUCH MORE!
- Character Parade:Students will dress as their favorite book characters and march in a parade through the school. Parents are welcome to attend! (Tracks 2 & 3 on October 13th & Tracks 1 & 4 on Oct. 25th; 9:30am)
- Used Book Drive: Donate your gently used children’s books to help fellow Salem families build their home libraries. Drop off in the Main Lobby between October 16th – 27th.
ATTENTION K-2 FAMILIES:
During Read-a-thon, all K-2 classes will have an Author Visit with local children’s book author, Adam Jones. Mr. Jones recently released his new children’s book “Cecil and the Big Wave!” He will read from his new book and answer student questions about what it is like to write a children’s book.
Visit Dates: October 11, 2017: Tracks 2 & 3 (Note: NEW DATE**); November 1, 2017: Tracks 1 & 4
- Go to https://tinyurl.com/CeciltheAntto purchase the book via Amazon.com. (It is Prime Eligible, so shipping is free if you are a Prime member.) Cost: $17.97.
- Please order with enough time to arrive at your home before your child’s session date!
- On the day of your child’s session, please send the book in with your child. Have your child give the book to his/her teacher first thing in the morning.
- Your signed copy will be returned home with your student.
** Due to the rescheduled date, if you have ordered your book based on the original 10/18 date and don’t receive it in time for the new 10/11 date, we can still arrange for your book to be signed during the Nov 1st visit.
BOOK FAIR HELP NEEDED:
We could use a few extra hands to help set-up and run our Book Fair. Please see our Book Fair Sign-Up to see ways and times that you can help. Thank you!
Other fun and exciting activities are planned – keep an eye out for more information to be sent home with your student. Yee Haw! Let’s get ready to read!!
What’s a Read-a-thon?